We all know moving around and keeping active on a regular basis is a key part of health as we mature. Often when we find ourselves retired, we become sedentary. This is not necessarily on purpose or something that even happens all at once. It’s important at any age to keep active and fit.
People who walk regularly swear by the benefits of a daily jaunt and the overall joy it brings!
Here are the Top 5 Reasons to join them in a few steps a day:
- Walking helps reduce stress and cheers you up while increasing your self-esteem.Your body’s natural ‘happy drug’ known as endorphins are released while you stroll and that’s part of the reason for your improved mood and disposition.
- Weight loss is another great reason to get out there for at least 30 minutes a day and take a great walk. It’s easy on the joints and FREE as in no gym membership required, so more reason to smile while you make tracks. Some physicians suggest you should set a goal of 10,000 steps a day.
- Regular trips around the block will help lower your blood pressure, this will lead to improved sleep at night and greater energy levels during the day. Fun fact, regular walkers have fewer heart attacks and strokes, lower blood pressure and higher levels of HDL (healthy cholesterol). It’s also thought to decrease the risk of any cancers and improve your immune system. So take a hike!
- Walking can also improve your social life! Take a pal that you can walk and talk with while you stroll to help encourage one another to get in your daily steps. A pedometer can also help motivate you to go that extra 2000 steps a day which gives you a sense of accomplishment – improving your self esteem even more!
- Cravings subside the more you get outside! You’ll likely experience a lack of snack cravings after a 15 minute walk. It seems cravings subside during the first 10 minutes of your walk, which is good news for those looking to lose weight.
No matter how you slice it, you’re worth that ‘extra mile’ a week in walking. So buy yourself a great pair of shoes and hit the road, you’ll be back the next day for more and feeling great!