As we age our skin becomes more sensitive so that means we actually need to take a little extra care. You may start to find that previously followed routines are not adequate for the present as skin changes and our metabolism slows down.
Here are 5 Skincare Tips For Seniors that we love.
- Eat the Right Foods. Everyone should eat a healthy, balanced diet but as seniors we need to be sure we’re eating foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. A few delicious and easy to eat foods are melons, green vegetables, walnuts, salmon and avocados!
- Drink Plenty of Water. There are a number of different schools of thought when it comes to the consumption of water and how much a person should really drink in a day but one thing we know for sure is that it’s beneficial for seniors to remain hydrated! Water replenishes the body and flushes out toxins that can cause common skin problems.
- Use a Humidifier. Our skin can become dry as we mature especially in the winter with the cold, dry air. Redness and cracking or chapping can occur, and using a humidifier will eliminate these problems as it creates the necessary additional moisture in the air that we need.
- Use a Good Skin Cream. Choosing a moisturizing cream that contains natural ingredients such as vitamin A, vitamin E, and aloe that is applied to the face, neck and arms several times a day is a great way to keep your skin nourished and looking youthful. It doesn’t need to be expensive just feel good going on and show noticeable results in one week.
- Avoid Harsh Soaps and Excessive Washing. Most seniors do not lead overly active lifestyles and do not need to be vigorously scrubbing their skin on a daily basis. Washing your face with warm water and a fragrance-free soap is a great idea. Showering every other day and using a mild body wash and soft cloth is ideal for keeping your skin fresh and smooth.
Bottom line, don’t get tricked into thinking that there is a magic pill or treatment that will help you find the fountain of youth, you’ll likely just end up draining your bank account and looking pretty much the same way you did when you started! We are also not big fans of botox or injectables that are not as safe as they may initially appear. Keep active with a positive outlook on life and your outer glow will reflect your inner happiness.